4/13/15

Mashallah

Mashallah was one of the words I remember hearing as a child when we lived in Izmir, Turkey.  Mashallah literally means "in God's will".  It is also used to praise, express joy and gratefulness towards a person or happening.  The word is also used to offer respect and some say it as a protection against "the evil eye".  Say it out loud MASHALLAH - isn't amazing to say?

My mother spent a lot of time shopping in the markets in and around Izmir, Turkey when we lived there for several years when I was a child.  Many of the things I am attracted to have a middle eastern feel to them and most of my accessories in my own home are from our time in Izmir.









Here are a few of my favorites…...

Brass canisters that Turks used as lunch boxes

www.rylandwoodard.com





White Porcelain Figurines that I could stare at for hours…..
I can almost hear the swoosh of the dancing Dervish's skirt.












Worry beads look great on top of stacked books....





Handblocks

www.rylandwoodard.com




Maybe this should be the first pattern of our fabric line!

www.rylandwoodard.com


Footed Brass firewood holder …..
www.rylandwoodard.com


That I like to use for magazines!
www.rylandwoodard.com


This painted wooden figure was always apart of the family when playing with dolls as a child.  Check out his worry beads….
www.rylandwoodard.com


Mashallah is the perfect word to describe how we feel about all 
the amazing happenings we have surrounding us.

Have a Fabulous Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment